Despite Delhi being highly unsafe for women, questions have constantly been raised on deployment of women as Station House Officers. At present, there is no female SHO in any of the 178 police stations of Delhi Police. The Delhi Commission of Women has written to the Delhi Police seeking an explanation on the same.
As per reservation rules, 33% of seats are reserved for women in Delhi Police, but very few of them are placed at higher positions. According to a report of 2013, even the all-women police station at the South Campus was headed a male police officer.
Questions to be Answered the Delhi Police
The Delhi Commission of Women has sought answers from Delhi Police on the following questions:
- If it’s true that there is no female SHO in Delhi Police, then what are the reasons for the same?
- Details of all male officers at the rank of Inspector including their sanctioned and current number of posts.
- Details of all female officers at the rank of Inspector including their sanctioned and current number of posts.
- Details of female officers deployed as SHOs in police stations in the past one year.
- Measures adopted the Delhi Police to increase participation of women at higher levels.
The Commission has sought information Delhi Police March 19, 2021